GLSEN - MSL has joined with PFLAG (Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) to develop workshops for faculty and staff of schools, students, and other organizations. The goals of the workshops are:
1. To provide basic awareness of prejudice against sexual minorities.
2. To provide basic information on sexual orientation.
3. To explain stresses on gay/lesbian/bisexual youth and the children of gay and lesbian parents and how these stresses impair educational performance.
4. To explain how prejudice against sexual minorities impairs the educational performance of all students.
5. To equip teachers and other school professionals with some tools and skills to use to reduce prejudice against sexual minority youth and families and to create an inclusive classroom and school environment.
Workshops include relating personal stories, defining specific problems, needs, and stressors facing gay and lesbian youth; developing strategies for the classroom and school; and creating a vision for future success.
The presenters include educators, parents and students with professional and personal experience regarding the needs of gay and lesbian youth.
The presentations can be tailored to meet the goals and time constraints of your organization.
To schedule a presentation, or to obtain more information, contact us at:
GLSEN/Metro St. Louis
P.O. Box 410166
St. Louis, MO 63141